Monday, April 13, 2015

A brief run-down

No time! But I don't want to forget.

Another bout of lice, I would happily forget, but it happened and I accept it with a certain amount of incredulous humor. I'm only able to laugh about it because Picky Pam exists and although I now do most of the combing myself to save the money, it's a comfort to know she's out there to back me up almost every day of the week. Bless her soul.

After many days of delay and indecision I had one faint idea of what we could do for a spring break getaway. How pathetic am I at planning and packing? Very. But when Catalina popped into my head, we seized it and forged ahead. We chose it primarily because the ferry is two miles from home and the island has a grocery store, so I wouldn't have to shop for groceries in advance. And it was a success! No vomit on the ferry, limited night waking (from Emmett only; the girls slept through both nights with no potty needs and no complaining of cold), surprise school friends at the campsite and some beautiful days. Oh, and relaxing starlit nights.

Psych! The first part is true but I did NOT sleep well either of the two nights. Emmett sleeps very well in his own space, but if he knows we're near, he's ready to party--or cry--at any time. As long as I stayed perfectly still, not adjusting for cold or pee or sore hips, I had a chance at quiet, but we all know I'm not stoic. My final verdict is that two nights was ah-plenty.

Cameras had no battery power, thanks to aforementioned poor planning, so most of this trip will have to linger or fade in our memories, as nature wills.

Other current events include:

Liv was awarded Student of the Month status today. The principal came to her classroom and she had to stand with his hand on her shoulder while he went through his spiel. She repeatedly tried to sit down but was pulled back. Pursed lips, bug eyes, head down, trying not to smile. That's my Lou.

Ally was identified to take the GATE test but we were only given 2 days' notice to prepare her.  It's hard to watch her enter this new phase of life that brings self-awareness/self-consciousness, rigorous and frequent testing, social cliques, body change and all the rest. I overheard her making comparisons of her body with her friend's the other day (bless her friend for being 1 part oblivious and 2 parts kind and generous) and I thought, this is it; don't get scared now. If Kevin from Home Alone can stay strong, then so can I. I try to find moments of alone time during which I can casually bring up topics (oh, no big deal, but ...) without her noticing that I'm trying to teach her something.

Emmett loves balls. It feels like an awkward thing to say, but you get it. He loves to run up and down hills, throw balls into the air, throw balls at stuff, catch balls, kick balls and roll balls. He's added a devious face to his repertoire of expressions. His bond with his blue blanky, Stinky, grows more powerful with each new colony of germs. He's utterly fantastic.

Bim is planning to run a marathon next month. He's crazy but that's cool.

I would love nothing more than some hours to write a better blog post, but I choose sleep and food first. So I guess that's what I really love more. I'm not even going to read this post for errors. Byeeeee.

No comments:

Post a Comment