Monday, October 18, 2010

interior domestique

so....i've been doing some painting around the house.


paint is a nice way to indulge this need for change without spending much money. my generous landlord gave me the O.K., so here's what i did:

in the girls' room i used Dutch Boy's "winter retreat." everyone knows that the name of a paint color is at least as important as the actual color. Ally wanted purple and when paired with purple accents this very pale color takes on an almost lavender hue. it actually looks more lavendar in the pictures than it does in reality.

the ottoman above was orange when i bought it for $15 at a garage sale. i covered it with Heather Ross's rapunzel fabric from her far, far away line, and made some coordinating bolster pillows for the girls. some of my favorite things in the house are below: bunny! and the music box, from an estate sale, that plays three beatles tunes {yesterday, let it be, and hey, jude}. finally, the child-sized wardrobe that holds their dress-ups.



i chose light colors: (1) because i wanted them to be easily painted over when we move; and (2) because i wanted the rooms to stay bright. the new accent color in the living room is DB "Key Largo," a cheerful French blue. i painted the opposite wall into the kitchen a neutral sand color.

the "new to us" couches were a craigslist score. i've been waiting and watching for quite a while, hoping not to have to buy new furniture. i think these have many years of life left in them, so it was a happy find.

my favorite "new" room is our bedroom, in DB "modern classic." a big part of the reason it's my favorite room is that piece of art on the left, by annie gedicks. i spend a lot of time staring at it. Ally calls it the rain cloud.


and that's the tour. i have plans for a few more things to hang on the wall {right now the "headboard" is a gallery for some of Ally's art}, but i wanted to post the paint pics before...what? before i change it again.


{just kidding}

11 comments:

  1. Wow!!! It looks really nice Krista! It is still insane for me to see my grandparents old funky house so modern. It's so different, I'm sure my grandmother is just up in heaven smiling!
    Thanks for sending the link to my dad!
    Kelly Spring (Scott's daughter)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Kelly! it really must be trippy for you to see all this change--and maybe a little hard too? you are a good sport!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want to see a picture of the front of that blue couch. please.

    and i do love what you've done with your place. fantastico!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! Now come do mine! You've seen it, it needs work so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your house is AWESOME. I love everything you've done especially the great collection of artwork. You're so good about hanging things on the wall. I need to do more of that. I get nervous that somethings not going to mesh and then nothing goes up there. Beautiful home and impressive re-upholstery job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. fabulous, dahling. love it. gorge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang, you're good! I love it all and you may have inspired me to paint my family room AGAIN. It's the room I stare at the most and I am definitely tired of it. But I'm wondering if you could come up north for a quick consult before I get started?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like all of those rooms, but I really love the blue one.

    Oh, how come I don't have a creative bone in my body? Oh yeah, my siblings HOGGED EM ALL!!!

    What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in love with the little bunkbed! And the dress up wardrobe is awesome! Super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe I missed this! You really have a talent( okay, anOTHER talent)for this and it's absolutely beautiful! So inviting and comfortable and interesting and well done. I love it all!!

    Have to say, though, that I'm more like Dana who commented above: I'm never sure of my ideas, so I can go years without putting anything on a wall. Then, in an impulsive moment, I try to hang something by myself and end up with ten holes where there should have been one. Take down any of my pictures and you'll see the Swiss cheese behind it. :p Did I mention how impressed I am with your decorating? Love it.

    ReplyDelete