Monday, August 22, 2011

stay



don't get any bigger.
don't want anyone but me.
don't learn the proper pronunciation of the word, "strong."
don't run steadily.
don't grow lean.


don't chew with your mouth closed.
don't figure out napkins.
don't count past 14.


don't give up rocking.
don't sleep without lovey.


stay afraid of toilets flushing, ocean waves, big dogs---and flies.
stay grubby and plump.
stay a little smelly.
stay gap-toothed and goofy.


stay slightly off-balance.
stay interested in bugs.
stay good at jokes.


stay softly curly.
stay heartbroken at harsh words.
stay great at dancing.

won't you?
PLEASE.
just stay.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, my. I have no words except lovely and very sweet, inadequate though they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post with all my heart and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love love love that last picture. oh the light! oh the little person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That makes me want to cry. I feel like you know exactly what I am thinking about my baby too! They just grow up too fast. What a sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. really beautifully said! i love reading your writing!

    we missed you at the wedding. it wasn't too hectic (everyone left their kids at home).

    ReplyDelete