Monday, August 22, 2011

the making factory




at bedtime i sometimes ask my girls the question my mom used to ask me as she tucked me in: what was your favorite part of this day?

today, ally was aglow with the light of invention, having just cranked out "a leader's flag," AKA pirate flag, "a stelloscope" {you know, for seeing things that are far away}, and a model of liv's lovey, which looked very much like it, and which was very warmly received by the lovey lover. all of these creations came out of a roll of christmas wrap that she'd found under the bed.

working in her "making factory" was thus her favorite part of the day. it topped a list that also included, impressively, a trip to the long beach school district office to meet one of her new teachers, a trip to the beach, a school uniform shopping expedition and mac'n'cheese at corner bakery--her favorite. you get an idea of how much she likes scissors and tape.

much of the play around here lately has been inventive by necessity. i have, ahem, packed most of their toys. it doesn't seem to be a problem in the least. let this be a lesson to she who loves new toys {me}. we don't really need them so much.

2 comments:

  1. Uniform? Teacher? Is she starting a pre k there? So fun! I hope wherever we go Lyza gets to wear a uniform; I think they are darling!
    What is it about us that makes us see a toy and think that our child needs it. Our toys are rarely played with here, it mostly the craft bucket and a huge pile of paper for Lyza, and whatever scraps fall to the floor for Peter or a good book. I think every Christmas/Birthday that next time I am not going to get so many toys. . .

    ReplyDelete