Friday, May 13, 2011

draw it out




"draw it out" ought to be Ally's motto. {there's a double meaning in that.} drawing does seem to be her 'love language,' so to speak. when she's really upset about something, she will sometimes give us the option of drawing something for her to make amends. she is never happier than when one of her parents will sit down and draw through a story or idea with her. i'm particularly fond of her mixed media artwork, which incorporates tape sculptures, string, stickers, leaves, or whatever she has on hand. the creative spelling is a trip, too.

i couldn't possibly save every piece she produces, but even the favorites are accumulating into unmanageable stacks. i've been setting them aside to scan and, at this rate, will have to scan all day for several days before it's all done. until then, i find it comforting to cover my walls with her art. relating to a four year-old can be nigh unto impossible some days, but this is one place we can always meet, and find peace.

4 comments:

  1. not the first time I've thought this. When I read things like this, I really think you should be raising my kids. You could really connect with my kids creatively, which I have no idea how to do. I love you and wish you lived closer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have piles and piles too, and I heard the idea of scanning them, but I have just started taking photos of them, and it is so much easier and faster! I love that she draws to make amends. That is a really great idea. Elyza has all the creative talent in this family so far, she has already surpassed my stick figure families :)
    (Peter is a lefty so far too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and Ally rocks the socks off those jeans. SO cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure she will be super creative and talented, as her momma! I love how you are always letting them express their creativity! You are an awesome mom!

    ReplyDelete