Wednesday, September 19, 2012

a vignette

i'd like to enroll Ally in French classes, i thought. my french friend is organizing classes at Liv's preschool. Ally is curious about languages and often asks me how to say this word or that in French. why not? i thought. aside from the money, i mean.

MONEY! right.

but then a stranger came along and offered to bash the side of my car in exchange for French classes. sure, i said! you're just in time! may i offer you a baseball bat? and so the problem was solved. Tres bien, said i. Merci, said Ally.

actually, it went like this:

Me: i'm not sure French classes are in the budget after all.
Bim: a woman just backed into my car with her car. her insurance is sending a check.
Me: let's use it for French classes. i can live with a dent.
Bim: fine with me.
Ally: Merci. Maintenant je parle francais comme une francophone.

Voila.

it's nice when things work out that way. strange, but nice.

4 comments:

  1. what no picture of the dent? Great story. Plus I love driving a car with dents and scratches in it. That way when I hit something (not that I EVER do) I don't feel so bad. French classes are a much better use of the insurance money! Bien!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! you guys crack me up! that will be cute to hear Ally sprekinz ze french!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, maybe someone will back in to ours so Lyza can do that too. She is always saying whatever french she knows (mostly since it is the only language I know any of!) Can't wait to hear Ally's sweet voice en francais!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We opened a door (or provided some momentum) for a family awhile back by taking out their fence with our minivan. Our insurance company paid up and the fence was never repaired. But within a few months, there was a brand new house standing in its place! And, our 8-year-old minivan got an all-over new paint job that lasted another 7 years to boot! Still, I don't recommend the process. Icy roads are tres scare-EEE! And that's the extent of my French.

    ReplyDelete